According to the latest news it looks like it will be a while before we can travel again… Which is a really sad piece of information for those who like us love to travel the world and experience different cultures and of course their food. But we have to believe that these restrictions are for the best and we will be able to explore the world again as soon as possible. In the meanwhile, let’s bring the world to us. Through cooking of course. I’d start with our trip to Vietnam, where we would eat one thing on the daily. The famous Vietnamese twist on a French baguette – Banh Mi. Delicious combination of all the fresh flavours you can possibly imagine packed together in crispy bread.
But as you know, this blog is about healthy eating and my recipes are mostly Paleo because that’s the way of eating that makes me happy, healthy and strong. And I would like to inspire others to eat well and show you guys, that healthy doesn’t have to be boring. That’s why I dared to switch the bread for lettuce and created Banh Mi Lettuce Cups (Paleo, Whole30, Low Carb). So it’s a meal that we can eat every day all year long and not just while on holidays. I promise the flavour explosion is still going to happen 🙂
- To pickle the carrot and bitter melon, mix 1 tbsp coconut aminos, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, ½ tsp sesame oil. Leave the vegetables in the mix at least for 1 hour, but preferably overnight.
- If you are making a homemade pate, you should check my Chicken Liver Pate recipe HERE. Or you can use a good quality store bought one.
- Same applies to the mayonnaise. I would definitely recommend to make your own, as it's actually extremely easy and so much better for you than the stuff you can buy in the shops. See my tips on how to make a homemade mayonnaise HERE. But of course you can use a store bought mayo, just read the ingredients (there can be so many nasties in one simple product) and try to buy the mayo that has the least of them 🙂
- And finally take the lettuce apart and wash it.
- Top the lettuce cups with the chicken pate, cucumber, pickled carrots and bitter melon, chicken and mayonnaise and then add fresh green onions and coriander.