I just made the best salad ever. I honestly can’t stop drooling over it. It’s THAT good. So if you are looking for a side dish which would complement your weekend grilled specials, look nowhere else. I’ve got you covered with the Broccoli And Pumpkin Salad (Paleo, Whole30, Low Crab, Vegan). Also, there is actually no raw vegetable in this salad. So it doesn’t have that over healthy (and super boring) feel. But it’s crispy, fun and savoury. And it’s so much easier to digest. Honestly, you just have to try it. And don’t tell me if you don’t like it. Because it’s good. I know it 🙂
I use the homemade Coriander Pesto as the seasoning, but feel free to use basil pesto if you prefer. It would still taste delicious. There is also Avocado Mayonnaise which can be swapped for the real thing. But I don’t recommend that so much as it would loose the extra creaminess. However, if you don’t like avocado much, this is your option.
- Cut the broccoli into florets (save the stalk for a soup or puree, I even freeze mine and use it when needed). Place a pot with water over high heat and bring it to boil. Add some salt and put in the broccoli. Blanch for 3 minutes, then strain and let cool to room temperature.
- Clean the pumpkin (cut the skin off and get rid of the seeds) and cut it into small cubes. Place the pumpkin on a lined baking tray. Spray it with a bit of oil and sprinkle some salt and pepper over. Place the tray in preheated oven on 180 °C for 12 minutes. After this time take the tray out of the oven and let the pumpkin cool to a room temperature.
- Once both of the veggies cool down transfer them into a salad bowl. Add the strained artichoke hearts.
- Mix the mayonnaise with coriander pesto in a small bowl with a whisk. Then pour it over the vegetables and mix everything together.
- Roast the pumpkin seeds in a frying pan. Place a pan over high heat and toss the pumpkin seeds in. Occasionally stirring roast them for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the roasted pumpkin seeds over the salad. Serve in a room temperature.