Fennel can be quite strong in flavour when by itself and that sets a lot of people off. But combine it with the sweetness of butternut squash and creaminess of ghee and you’ll find a smooth yet decadent side dish. It’s perfect with grilled and roasted meats where it almost plays the main role. However it also perfectly supports full flavours of more exotic dishes like curries and aromatic stews.
Lots of people seem to have problems with side dishes when transitioning to Paleo and Low Carb way of eating. We know it’s simple – meat and vegetables should be the staples of our plates. However that can get boring after some time and we get fed up with the same food every day. But there are so many types of veggies out there which can be prepped in so many different ways. Forget the classic sides. It’s time to try something new. Pick up the vegetable that you never tried, or the spices with the exotic names you are are passing in the shops and get creative. It doesn’t have to be complicated. This Fennel And Butternut Squash Puree (Paleo, Whole30, Low Carb) is a great example of a side dish that’s a bit different, but super easy to make.
- ½ small butternut squash
- 1 fennel
- 5 tbsp ghee
- Pinch of dried thyme (or few leaves of fresh)
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the fennel in rough pieces. Peel the squash and cut it in rough pieces.
- Put the fennel and squash pieces on a baking tray and drizzle it with 2 tbsp of melted ghee, salt pepper and thyme.
- Place the baking tray in preheated oven on 200 C and bake for 20 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables in a food processor and add 3 tbsp of ghee.
- Mix everything together until smooth.
- Serve for example with Lemon And Sage Chicken Roast.