Happy Monday, everyone! I’m sorry I haven’t posted a recipe in weeks, but my website actually underwent some serious issues and I wasn’t even able to log in. However, everything should be back to normal and I’m happy to share some recipes and travel tips with you again, starting with one of my current favourites – Laksa (Paleo, Whole30, Low Carb).
I would like to say that I’m posting a soup recipe because it’s winter and it’s cold and soup is a perfect dish for this weather. That’s the right introduction, isn’t it? But well, that would be a lie. It is indeed winter in Australia right now. But it’s definitely not cold. I actually can’t believe how lucky we are here in Queensland with the weather. It is mostly sunny (Sunshine state?) and the temperature hardly goes bellow 18 °C. Crazy, right? So this is me, posting a recipe for Laksa (Paleo, Whole30, Low Carb) simply because I like soups. Because I think that any weather is soup weather.
Anyway, Laksa is originally a Malaysian dish and therefore proof that soup really is good in any weather. Because I don’t think that any Asian countries wait to get cold to enjoy their bowl of soup. You can get a local version of a soup on every corner, no matter the time of the year.
My recipe for Laksa (Paleo, Whole30, Low Carb) is inspired by the traditional Malaysian dish but with a little twist to make it Paleo friendly. So there are the hearty spices like galangal, lemongrass or turmeric and coconut cream for the smooth texture. But I am using zucchini and carrot noodles instead of their rice form. I also swapped the fish stock for chicken broth as I have a fish allergy, but feel free to use the fish one if you prefer the taste. And for the protein there are prawns in this recipe, but again, you do you. So if you are not fussed about prawns for example chicken breasts would work perfectly as well.
- Laksa paste:
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 thumb size pieces of galangal, chopped
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, chopped
- 3 small chillies
- 2 tsp shrimp paste without sugar
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- 1,5l chicken stock
- ½ tbsp fish sauce
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 tbsp juice from fresh lime
- Zucchini noodles
- Carrot noodles
- Bean sprouts
- Fresh coriander
- Cooked prawns
- How to make the paste:
- Put all the ingredients into a food processor and blend it to a paste texture.
- How to make the soup:
- Place a deep pan over high heat. Let it warm up and then add in 6 tbsp of the Laksa paste. Heat the paste for about 3 minutes, stirring. Then pour in the chicken stock , coconut cream and fish sauce.
- Bring the soup into boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Before serving stir in the lime juice.
- Serve with noodles from zucchini and carrots, bean sprouts, fresh coriander and protein of choice (I used prawns, but chicken or fish is also a great option).