As much as I love soups, sometimes I have to spare this feeling for stews too. Or pretty much anything with a bit of liquid from one pot. Curry or goulash attending the competition of a perfect meal as well. There is nothing better on a cold rainy day than a nice bowl of comforting hot food filled with as many healthy things as your pantry offers.
Not even mentioning that these foods are just the best for leftovers. Some things don’t taste the best when reheated. However stews and curries just seem to get even more flavour through when refrigerated for some time. So if you are trying to eat healthy but having a busy schedule, you can make a big batch of this Slow-Cooked Beef Stew with Carrot and Celery and enjoy it through the week. It’s Paleo and Whole30 friendly too.
- Oil or lard for cooking
- 700g gravy beef, cut into cubes
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut in pieces about 1 cm
- 6 celery sticks, cut in pieces about 1 cm
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp hot paprika (you can swap for mild one if you don't like spicy food)
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp trimmed fresh thyme
- 3 tsp trimmed fresh rosemary
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 2,5 litres of water
- 5 tsp tapioca starch
- Heat a big (preferably cast iron) pot over a high heat. Add the oil and let it heat for a short moment.
- Add the beef and onions, stirring consciously. After about 3 minutes the beef should be nice and brown, with no red parts. At this point add the paprika, cumin, salt and pepper and stir for 1 more minute.
- Pour most of the water to the pot (leave about 300 ml aside), add the crushed tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, thyme ans rosemary and bring everything to boil.
- Once the stew is boiling, turn the heat lower, cover the pot with a lid and let it simmer for 2 hours, checking and stirring occasionally.
- After 2 hours turn the heat higher again and let the stew boil. Mix the tapioca starch with your remaining water properly with a whisk and pour in the stew, stirring consciously for about three minutes. Making sure there are no lumps.
- Lower the heat for simmering again. Add the carrots and celery and cover the pot with a lid for additional 45-60 minutes, stirring the stew occasionally.
- After this time check if the beef is tender and the vegetables are soft enough. If not, cook for a bit longer.
- Serve with your favourite side dish. If looking for a healthy option (also Whole30), cauliflower rice is a great companion.
- If you are lucky to have a slow cooker at home, this dish is totally perfect for it. You can simply put all ingredients in, stir them a little and cook for about 10 hours. Or you can add a bit more flavour by starting with the first three steps of this recipe, except mixing the tapioca starch in the water already at the beginning and adding the veggies in straight. Then transfer everything to the slow cooker and cook for about 9 hours.
Don’t forget to check out my other healthy recipes.